Header Graphic

Quick Links To Federal Government Agencies For Business, Educational, Personal and Healthcare Federal Assistance & Grants

Offices: Administration for Children and Families (ACF)
Administration on Aging (AOA)
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)  
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Health Care Financing Administration
Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
National Institutes of Health
Office of Population Affairs
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (SAMHSA)
Funding Information: Grant Opportunities
Funding Information: Guidelines & Applications
Funding Information: Grants & Applications
Funding Information: How to Apply for a Grant


Funding Information: Catalog of Federal Funding Sources for Watershed Protection
Offices: American Indian Environmental Office
Grants Administration Division
Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance
Office of Environmental Education
Office of Policy, Economic, & Innovation
Office of Water
Region 1: Connecticut, Main, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont
Region 2: New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico & U.S. Virgin Islands
Region 3: Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia
Region 4: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee
Region 5: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin
Region 6: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas
Region 7: Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska
Region 8: Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tribal Nations, Utah, and Wyoming 
Region 9: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Pacific Islands, and Tribal Nations
Region 10: Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Tribal Nations, and Washington


Funding Information: Mitigation Programs and Activities
The Public Assistance Program
Offices: U.S. Fire Administration


Funding Information: Grant Program




Funding Information: Grants & Projects


Funding Information: Funding Opportunities


Are you considering starting, improving or gowing a business? Why not start with what has often been called the "world's largest source of free money"... the federal government!

There has recently been a dramatic increase in governmental assistance for economic development. As a result, the federal government is willing to provide necessary cash to start or improve business. In the 2012 fiscal year, businesses will get over $60 billion in government grants and low-interest loans, $750 billion in procurement contract funding and another $38 billion in research and consultation services.

Most people are unaware of these grants programs simply because the government does not have the money to advertise them! Consequently, for most of us, it can be somewhat frustrating finding the right information, locating the right government office, and knowing what programs best suit our needs.

The average person does not know that it is especially during these times of cutbacks that our government is willing to divert large amounts of funding in the form of grants and loans to support the economic growth of our country. Clearly, anyone thinking of starting or expanding a business in the United States owe it to themselves to investigate these opportunities.

Interestingly, many people think that they need to be either extremely rich or poor to receive cash from the government. The fact is, the only difference between those who do and those who don't get money from the government - is being aware of what specific programs are available - and how to apply for them.

Yet another common misconception is that receiving a grant (ie, "something for nothing") might cause some embarassment for the receiver. Why not benefit from the government? As a taxpayer, you are paying for these government programs. Don't you deserve to get something back from them?

The following information was taken from the official Government publication The Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance and is invaluable when discussing and locating government money programs available to the public. There are far too many programs to include in this site, but you can get complete information on the hundreds of government grants available by reviewing the Catalog at your local library.

Types of Federal Funding

Unsolicited Proposals are initiated by an organization and sent to a specific Federal agency for consideration. This might be designated "submission on speculation," unless your intelligence network has learned that the Federal agency is looking for projects along the line of the one you have proposed. Unsolicited proposals should be submitted as soon as possible after July 1, or in early June, just before the end of the government's fiscal year. They may be funded as research and demonstration grants or as contracts.

Request for Proposals (RFP) can be seen advertised in the Commerce Business Daily. In some cases, the advertisement lists the qualifications desired in the bidders and asks for statements of qualifications of those wishing to be placed on the bidder's list to receive the RFP. Usually, the agency maintains the bidder's list, requesting annual updates of the information, and also sends subsequent RFP's to the bidders. Bidders do not necessarily submit proposals in response to all RFP's they receive.

SoleSource Contracts. Occasionally, a Federal agency wants to award a contract to a particular contractor, despite government regulations that require work be made available on a competitive basis to the lowest bidder. This is where the "'solesource" designation comes in. This practice is disappearing because some of the Federal agencies that used this procurement technique have been frequently accused of favoritism. To get around this charge, some agencies will advertise an RFP in the Commerce Business Daily, even though they have already determined whom they will award the contract. Your intelligence sources (G2) should let you know if the project is "wired" to another organization to save you time and money.

Purchase of Service Contract is a costsharing type of procurement in which the private agency provides 25 percent of the cost, while the Federal funds provide 75 percent.

Purchase Orders. Most Federal agencies are allowed to purchase services from a private source, up to a limit of $2,500, by issuing a simple purchase order. These do not require the usual review process accorded a grant or contract.

Free Federal Money Sources

Free Money to Provide Assistance to Economically or Disadvantaged Businesses: Under this government program, management and technical assistance is provided to disadvantaged businesses. Contact the Associate Administrator for Small Business, 1441 L Street NW, Room 602, Washington, D.C. 20416, (202) 2057151.

Training to Help Small Business Managers Operate Their Businesses: Business development, training, and counseling assistance is offered under this program. Contact the Associate Administrator for Business Development, Small Business Administration, 1441 L Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20416, (202) 6346197.

Grant Money to Investors, Builders or Developers of Rental Housing for the Elderly: Contact the Director of Insured MultiFamily Housing Management, Dept of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, D.C. 20410, (202) 7082495.

Grant Money for Small Business Research: Contact the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Coordinator, Competitive Research Grants, Office of Grants & Program Systems, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Rm. 112, J.S. Morrill Bldg SW, Washington, D.C. 20251, (202) 3821599.

Grant Money for Farmers for Building Housing & Recreation Facilities for Employees: Contact the MultiFamily Housing Processing Division, Farmers Home Administration, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C. 20250, (202) 3821599.

Grant Money to Do Business in Poor Economic Areas: Contact the Economic Adjustment Division, Director, Economic Development Administration, Herbert Hoover Bldg, Rm. H7217, Washington, D.C. 20230, (202) 3772659.

Grant Money for Investors in Rental Apartment Buildings Who are in Financial Trouble: Contact the Chief, Program Support Branch, Management Operations Divisions, Office of MultiFamily Housing Management, Dept of Housing and Development, Washington, D.C. 20420, (202) 7081422.

Grant Money to Indian Owned Businesses: Contact the Office of Tribal Services, Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1849 C Street NW, MS#4603MIB, Washington, D.C. 20240, (202) 2083711.

Grants to Train & Counsel Potential & Existing Small Businesses: Contact the Small Business Administration, 1441 L Street NW, Washington, DC, 20416, (202) 2057151.

Grant Money to Provide Technical Assistance to Small Businesses: Contact the Small Business Administration, Small Business Development Center, 1441 L Street NW, Rm. 317, Washington, D.C. 20416, (202) 2057151.

Grant Money for the Blind or Disabled: If you are blind or disabled and your income is less than $354 a month, or, $532 a month combined with that of a spouse who also is blind or disabled, you may be eligible to apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Contact your local Social Security Representative or County Social Service Department to see if you are eligible.

Grant Money for Minority Business Development: Grant awards from $10,000 to $2 million to stimulate business growth. Contact the Minority Business Development Agency, Department of Commerce, Washington D.C. 20230.

Grant Money for Women's Enterprises: Up to $200,000 grants are awarded to businesswomen annually. Contact the Office of Women's Business Ownership, Small Business Administration, 409 Third St. SW, Washington, D.C. 20416.

Grant Money for EnergyRelated Inventions: Grants of up to $100,000 for energyrelated inventions. Contact the Office of EnergyRelated Inventions, National Bureau of Standards, Gaithersburg, MD, 20899, (301) 9752000.

Grant Money for Not Growing Cotton, Wheat, Wool & Feed Grains: Contact the Commodity Analysis Division, Agricultural Stabilization & Conservation Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, PO Box 2415, Washington, D.C. 20013, (202) 4474417.

Grant Money for Businesses Interested in Improving Forests & Rangelands: Contact the Director, Competitive Research Grants, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Rm. 112, J.S. Morrill Bldg SW, Washington, D.C. 20251, (202) 4755022.

Grant Money for Landowners to Prevent Erosion or Improve Recreation: Contact the Deputy Chief for Programs, Soil Conservation Service, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, PO Box 2890, Washington, D.C. 20013, (202) 4474527.

Grant Money for Real Estate Investors who Rent to Elderly or Handicapped: Contact the Director, Office of MultiFamily Housing Management, Dept of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, D.C. 20410, (202) 7084579.

Action: Older American interaction programs. Grants to organizations are dependent on qualifications and the availability of funds. Three programs exist: (a) Senior Companion Program,

(b) Foster Grandparents Program, and (c) Retired Senior Volunteer Program. Call (800) 4248580 for information on your regional Action office.

United States Department of the Interior: Surveys, plans, and preservation of certain properties. Federal grants are distributed to the states and then to organizations on a projectbyproject basis. Emphasis is placed on areas concerning historic surveys and plans, including preserving and protecting properties, which appear on the National Register of Historic Places. Contact the United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, PO Box 37127, Washington, D.C. 20013.

National Marine Fisheries Service: Fishrelated services. In one year, over $150 million was allocated to the states for program activities, which ranged from research to conservation and fishery management. The Federal government allocates money to the states for award distributions. Contact the National Marine Fisheries Service, 1335 East West Hwy, Silver Spring, MD 29010.

United States Department of Agriculture: This department offered approximately 25 grants, ranging up to $50,000 for a sixmonth period in 1989, and 12 grants averaging $200,000 for small business innovation research. Contact the United States Department of Agriculture, Cooperative State Research Service, Washington, D.C. 202502200.

Department of Health and Human Services: Services for elderly Indians. In fiscal year 1988, over $17 million was allocated to organizations in support of four principal objectives: (a) Resources to the vulnerable elderly, (b) Assuring collaborative decision making, (c) Promoting state/community leadership, and (d) Providing a range of options. Contact the Department of Health and Human Services, Administration on Aging, Office of Program Development, 330 Independence Avenue SW, Rm. 4260, Washington, D.C. 20201.

National Endowment for the Humanities: Research, education, and activity in the humanities. Funding is determined by project and can consist of Federal matching funds, outright funds, or a combination. Contact the National Endowment for the Humanities, 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D.C. 20506. Call (202) 6068400

National Institute on Aging: Research or research training in the area of aging. In one year, over $50 million in grants was awarded to organizations for use in research, research training, research career programs, and contracts. Contact the Administration on Aging, Demonstration & Evaluation, 330 Independence Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20201.

National Endowment for the Arts, Folk Arts Program: This program supports organizations or individuals committed toward preserving and enhancing traditional art, including music, dance, poetry, tales, oratory, crafts, and various types of visual art forms. Contact the Folk Art Programs, National Endowment for the Arts, Nancy Hanks Center, 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Suite 720, Washington, D.C. 20506. Call at (202) 6825428

National Endowment for the Arts, InterArts Programs: This program supports projects or organizations that cross the line of individual arts disciplines. Contact the InterArts Programs, National Endowment for the Arts, Nancy Hanks Center, 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20506.

National Endowment for the Arts, Literature Programs: This program supports the assistance of individual creative writers and literary translators in an effort to encourage wider audiences for contemporary literature. It also will assist nonprofit literary organizations. Contact the Literature Programs, National Endowment for the Arts, Nancy Hanks Center, 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20506.

National Endowment for the Arts, Media Arts Program: This program supports individual artists, as well as nonprofit organizations that help these artists carry out projects in film, radio, and, television. These projects can include documentaries, experimental works, narrative works, electronic image manipulation, animated films, audio art, and more. Contact the Media Arts Programs, National Endowment for the Arts, Suite 726, 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20506. Call at (202) 6825452.

National Endowment for the Arts, OperaMusical Programs: This program assists all forms of music theatre involving voice, including experimental music theatre, operetta, ethnic musical theatre, classic musical comedy, grand opera, and more. Funds can be used for creation, development, rehearsal, production, etc. Contact the OperaMusical Programs, National Endowment for the Arts, Nancy Hanks Center, 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20506.

National Endowment for the Arts, Theatre Program: This program helps fund the creation and presentation of work by professional artists and the development of talented artists, as well as other activities which improve the environment for artistic excellence. Contact the Theatre Programs, National Endowment for the Arts, Nancy Hanks Center, 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20506.

National Endowment for the Arts, Museum Programs: Provides funding for projects of artistic significance in the museum field. Contact the Museum Programs, National Endowment for the Arts, Nancy Hanks Center, 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20506.